An adventure through India & the Maldives
4th December 2020
Kashmir, one of India’s most evocative and beautiful destinations, is back on the traveller’s map, with the UK's Foreign Office ruling that it is safe to visit.
Consider visiting between the middle of August and the end of September, with daily highs of 25-27 and night time lows of 12-13 degrees respectively. There are few domestic tourists at this time so accommodation is easier to come by and the conditions are fantastic, with clear skies and warm weather - in contrast to much of the rest of the region, which is afflicted by the Monsoon season.
We asked our partners in India what experiences they would recommend for first time travellers to Kashmir, here are their top tips:
- Everyone says the best houseboat on Dal Lake is Sukoon, however the Sheraton boats give you more local character.
- Make sure you visit some of the Mughal gardens around Srinagar – they are incredible, and often overlooked.
- Try a walking tour of old Srinagar. It’s important to get out of the car and see and feel the real India!
- We can match travellers with local scholars who can explain in more detail about local Kashmiri culture and history – a great opportunity to delve a bit deeper.
- Definitely have a wazwan! It’s a local style feast. The most renowned dish served is Rogan Josh – perhaps the most famous Kashmiri curry in the world.
Check out our country page for India. All trips offered by our local travel companies are entirely bespoke to you and can be tailored specifically to your requirements. To speak to someone in the TravelLocal office, please call +44 (0) 117 325 7898.