"If there is one portion of Europe which was made by the sea more than another, Portugal is that slice, that portion, that belt. Portugal was made by the atlantic."
A slender slice of territory occupying the westernmost point of mainland Europe, Portugal has a long history of maritime prowess and global influence. It is in fact the oldest nation in Europe, having defined its borders way back in 1139, and many centuries and upheavals later you will find a varied country where the modern and the traditional effortlessly coexist in its lively cities, historic towns and dazzling offshore islands. A ravishing coastline tempts many visitors to simply enjoy the beaches, but it is the mix of people, vibrant culture, delicious food and charming landscapes which truly captivate. As one of the favourite destinations in Europe, a holiday in Portugal, Madeira and the Azores can be as much of an adventure as you want it to be.
Our trusted local experts in Portugal
- We handpick only the very best local travel companies
- They live and work in your destination and know it better than any remotely-based agency
- So you have the most up to date local knowledge at your disposal
Top things to do in Portugal
Lesser-known highlights of Portugal
Interesting facts about Portugal
Best time to go to Portugal
Inspiration for your trip to Portugal
- 96% of all our customers would recommend us to a friend
- The TravelLocal community is 18,000 strong
- We've hosted travellers from over 34 countries worldwide
"Local knowledge does
make the difference!
Want to go?Plan my trip
Do you already have an idea of what your dream holiday in Portugal entails? Whether you're ready to book or would like your ideas to be fined-tuned into something more, send an enquiry and our trusted local experts will design your perfect tailor-made holiday.