The classic overland tour of Ethiopia's historical route, this trip sees you explore the cultural heartland of Ethiopia. You'll see the Blue Nile falls, Gelada baboons in the Simien Mountains, as well as the rock hewn churches of Lalibela. Time your visit well and you might witness some of the regions festivals.
We will tailor this trip to you. Change anything - from excursions to accommodation to places visited.Create your trip
- Addis Ababa airport: transfer in
- Addis Ababa city tour
- Transfer from Addis Ababa to Bahir Dar
- Boat trip to visit the monasteries on Lake Tana
- Visit Blue Nile Falls
- Transfer from Bahir Dar to Gondar overland
- City tour of Gondar, Camelot of Africa
- Transfer from Gondar to the Simien Mountains
- Hike to the Geech Abyss
- Transfer from the Simien Mountains to Axum overland
- At leisure in Axum
- Axum City tour
- Transfer from Axum to Hawzein via Yeha & Debre Damo overland
- Visit rock-hewn churches around Gheralta
- Transfer from Hawzein to Mekele overland
- Transfer from Mekele to Lalibela overland
- At leisure in Lalibela
- Visit the Northwestern Cluster of churches
- Visit the Southeastern Cluster of churches
- Transfer from Lalibela to Kombolcha overland
- Transfer from Kombolcha to Addis Ababa overland
- At leisure in Addis Ababa
- Addis Ababa airport: transfer out
The wettest months are June to September, but temperatures remain pretty steady year round. In the lowlands the climate is pleasantly warm (although can be humid) for most of the year, but if you plan to travel around, take altitude into consideration. If your travel plans involve time at various elevations, you will need to pack for all eventualities.
Is my money safe with TravelLocal?
Yes, your money is 100% protected. In fact, we are the safest way you could book a holiday with a local travel company, ... show more
What about my international flights?
TravelLocal does not offer flights. They are almost always cheaper when you book directly with the airline - very few tr... show more
How do you find the right local travel company?
The most important thing we start with is to understand how satisfied their current and previous international customers... show more
Is TravelLocal a Fairtrade company?
We help you to cut out the middleman and to book your holiday with carefully selected local travel companies in your des... show more