Getting started: We had better publicly say what many travellers privately think - this might just be the world's best travel destination. Distances are not too great, there is an embarrassing amount to see and do, its popularity seems not have dented its appeal - or, crucially, its authenticity. Like many visitors before you, you'll come back. We would encourage all travellers to take advantage of the fact that Southeast Asia is a pioneer of responsible tourism and ecotourism.
How long have you got: Any of the countries of the region can be sampled in a short trip. For trips of two weeks or more you can start to combine them (we would recommend in particular Vietnam & Cambodia and Thailand & Laos). Three weeks or more allows you to tour the region, or - even better - explore particular countries in real depth.
Don't leave home without: A sense of adventure.
Practicalities: Roads in lesser known regions can be poor (particularly in Cambodia and Laos) but travelling overland is far more rewarding then flying. Some of our suggested itineraries have flights in them, but all the itineraries are possible using ground or water-based transport. Southeast Asia is one of the best value regions for travel in the world.
Wondering where to base your next adventure?
Join our mailing list and receive our exclusive destination guide for 2016
New! Now includes our exclusive guide to the Silk Road
Start planning now!
Suggested itineraries in SE Asia & Indochina
- Communities of the Far North (13 nights from £1649pp)
- Offbeat Vietnam (13 nights from £1990pp)
- Community Tourism in Cambodia (12 nights from £1595pp)
- Wild Cambodia (14 nights from £2050pp)
- The Wilds of Indochina (12 nights from £1695pp)
- Classic Indochina - Vietnam and Cambodia (14 nights from £1195pp)
- Gourmand's Vietnam (11 nights from £1395pp)
- Grand Tour of Indochina - Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos (19 nights from £1825pp)
- Classic Vietnam (13 nights from £945pp)
- Classic Vietnam & Sapa (15 nights from £1245pp)
- Up The Mekong To Angkor - Vietnam and Cambodia (9 nights from £745pp)
- Spirit Of The North, Heart Of The South - Vietnam and Cambodia (12 nights from £1225pp)
- Best of Laos and Vietnam (13 nights from £1205pp)
- Thailand Family Adventure (15 nights from £1695pp)
- Simply Thailand (13 nights from £1495pp)
- Northern Thailand Explorer (11 nights from £1550pp)
- Borneo For Beginners (10 nights from £795pp)
- Borneo: Wildlife And Wonders (12 nights from £1895pp)
- Malaysia & Borneo In A Nutshell (14 nights from £1195pp)
- Classic Malaysia (14 nights from £995pp)
- Beautiful Beaches Of Malaysia (10 nights from £795pp)
- Slow Boat To Laos (12 nights from £1595pp)